Wednesday, Sept. 23, 2020
Animal Blessing Service – 10:30 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 4
Our virtual Animal Blessing worship service at 10:30 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 4 will honor the animal companions of our present and past – and all they bring into our lives.
We’d like to invite you to engage with this service by sending us photos to include in our online service. We’ll have two separate pieces:
- One will be blessings for animal companions currently in our lives.
- The other will be in memorium of the animals we have lost from our lives.
You may send photos for either or both to email@example.com.
Please submit separate emails for blessings and memorials and label them as such in the subject line – we really don’t want to confuse them with each other. So:
- For animals currently in your life, send us an email with the subject “Blessing.”
- For animals now gone, send us a separate email with the subject “Memorial.”
In each email, include photo(s) and the name(s) of the animal(s). A photo of just the animal or a photo with you and the animal together are equally acceptable.
We also warmly invite animal friends to join their humans live for coffee hour on Oct. 4!
Festival of Sharing for September 2020
For the month of September, the Festival of Sharing focus is on the “Missouri Family Food Boxes” project. These are targeted for families with low incomes. We are asking for donations for this project because of the coronavirus-driven need for these products. Each box will consist of the following items:
- 3 different cans of vegetables
- 3 different cans of fruit
- 3 cans of chicken
- 3 cans of tuna
- 1 can of pasta sauce
- 1 lb pasta (any type)
- 3 packages macaroni and cheese
- 1 jar of peanut butter
There is a great need for the food boxes – in 2019, there were requests for 6,953, but only 2,119 were provided. In 2019, your generosity allowed UUCC to provide 11 boxes. Collection boxes are available in the church Greeting Area, or leave the packs at the administrative office. For more information, email Festival of Sharing Chair Bonnie Johnson.
Worship Service and New Member Ingathering online at 10:30 a.m.
“What Does Love Require?”
Rev. Molly Housh Gordon
On the 250th anniversary of John Murray’s famous sermon proclaiming Universalism to America, we will ponder a question that can ground us and give us a way forward, even amid uncertainty: What does Love require of me, right now?
The worship will include a New Member Ingathering.
Remember to submit online by 10 a.m. Sunday any Joys and Sorrows you want to be sure are read aloud.
Remember to find yourself a chalice for home. We’ll share hymn lyrics on screen.
Digital Chalice (click to light it)
At 11:30 a.m., be sure to join in our Coffee hour:
If you have trouble using the technology to join us, please send an email to our tech team with your contact information, and someone will reach out to help you.
Visitors participating in our online worship services are invited to fill out our Visitor Connection Card.
Online Youth Religious Education
This year we have tried to develop a variety of R.E. plans to meet the needs of children of all ages and who learn in a variety of different ways, within the constraints of our need to remain physically distant from each other until the pandemic has passed. Read on to see what we have planned:
- Home Spiritual Practice Kits
Families who register to participate will have kits that cycle between families every two weeks (with the option of a quarantine phase at the church for families that request it). Each kit will have a chalice and a different simple spiritual practices to explore as a family.
- Sunday Morning Tea Party (all ages, but targeted at pre-K to K) – Sunday at 10 a.m.
We will meet via Zoom and get a chance to see each other’s faces, say hi, and share a story together, And because each tea party needs pastries and fabulous attire, we will also have a (optional) muffin recipe suggestion and costuming suggestion for each Sunday.
- Family Movie Night (all ages, but targeted at K-4th grade) – 1st and 3rd Fridays each month at 6:30 p.m.
In place of a Sunday RE class for K-4th graders, we will have a movie night where we will show a Pixar short film, and follow it with discussion questions. Families can choose to join in a Zoom discussion with other families or can log off and discuss with their families alone.
- Twilight Zone Class (5th-6th grade) – Sunday at noon
We will watch a Twilight Zone episode (created by UU Rod Serling!) and discuss the big ideas that are explored in the episode.
- YUUTs Online Collective Journal – (7-8th grade)
Instead of another Zoom class for our Zoomed-out junior high schoolers, we will create a collaborative journal for them to contribute to with a combination of deep reflection and deep silliness.
- Service Sundays (all ages) – First Sunday each month at noon
We are taking our service project programming online! Families will have the opportunity to register in advance, and a kit of materials will be delivered to your house. For those who want to, we will meet via Zoom to keep each other company as we work on our service projects.
- Junior Youth (6th-8th grade) – 2nd and 4th Fridays each month from 6:30 to 8 p.m.
We have been having so much fun in Junior Youth this summer that we are increasing our meeting time to twice a month. We will meet via Zoom for a variety of fun activities, from movie watching, to playing games, to cooking challenges.
- YRUU (high school youth group) – Sunday, 4-6 p.m.
We will meet in a combination of socially distanced in-person events and online (depending on pandemic conditions in Columbia). The teens will use their first meeting to brainstorm activities.
If you have questions or would like to volunteer, please email DRE Jamila Batchelder.
Rev. Molly offers Sacred Reading – 9 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays
Tuesday and Thursday mornings Rev. Molly will be on her Facebook page around 9 a.m. for a Sacred Reading practice, sharing a poem three times for you to listen for inspiration and an invitation for your day. These posts will be public, so one need not be Rev. Molly’s Facebook friend to view them.
(Reminder: Rev. Molly does not make friend requests of congregants to her personal page, but she is always very happy to accept friend requests from congregants at her personal page.)
“Lunchtime Chats” on our UUCC Facebook Page at noon Wednesdays
This month Rev. Molly has been offering a series of “Lunchtime Chats” on our UUCC Facebook Page with wise members of our community. One more chat remains this month. Guests are asked how they are sustained through difficulty and what practices they turn to in uncertain times. Those who tune in to watch on Facebook can ask questions. Please join us for the last of these little centering breaks this month:
Wednesday, Sept. 30 at noon – Rev. Brad Bryan, Pastor of Wilkes Blvd. United Methodist Church, home of Turning Point Day Center’s ministry to unhoused neighbors in Columbia.
Lunchtime Chats will continue in October. Look for more information, and in the meantime, tune in at the UUCC Facebook Page!
Rev. Molly changes office hours
Rev. Molly is now available during Zoom Office Hours on Tuesday mornings from 9:30 to 11 a.m.
During September she will also be holding office hours in-person – outdoors with appropriate social distancing – on Thursdays from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Fire Circle or Memorial Garden behind the church building. These office hours will be canceled if it’s raining.
Rev. Molly also makes office hours available by appointment.
Church building office hours have changed – noon to 5 p.m.
Due to Columbia Public Schools fully remote learning schedule, starting Sept. 8 the office hours at the church building will be noon to 5 p.m. daily. Thank you for your assistance and patience as we provide flexibility for childcare purposes during this time of Covid-19.
In-person gatherings in the church building are canceled until further notice. Small group meetings may take place on the church grounds with appropriate social distancing. Worship services, programs, meetings and ministries continue through the many technologies available to help us stay connected – phone, email, Facebook, and Zoom video conferencing. Staff will continue to work, so please feel free to call us at 573-442-5764 or send an email.
Our meeting rooms have been closed to all outside groups. If your group usually meets at the UUCC church, you may no longer do so until Church leadership decides to re-open.
Upcoming online meetings – email the leader listed below for details
Regular, Ongoing Activities
- Sacred Readings with Rev. Molly – on Rev. Molly’s facebook page at 9 a.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Contact Rev. Molly
- “Lunchtime Chats” on our UUCC Facebook Page at noon on Wednesdays. Contact Rev. Molly.
- Choir Hangout – 7 p.m. Wednesdays – online time together – email Jeremy Wagner or see the Zoom Links page.
- Crafting Club – 1 p.m. Fridays – Hosted by Robin Yoerger Duple online. Join UU crafters and friends to share ideas or simply chat while knitting, crocheting, or crafting from the comfort of your home. Go to the Zoom Links page for details on how to join the sessions.
- Religious Education Family Movie Night – (all ages, but targeted at K-4th grade) – online at 6:30 p.m. 1st and 3rd Fridays of each month. Contact Jamila Batchelder
- Junior Youth Group Friday Night Online –6:30 p.m. 2nd and 4th Fridays of each month.
Contact Jamila Batchelder.
- Junior Youth Group Friday Night Online – 6:30 p.m. Friday, Sept. 25. Contact Jamila Batchelder
- Men’s Breakfast Group – online at 8:15 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 26, Oct. 10, 24 and 31. Contact Wiley Miller.
- Ministries Tea – online at 2 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 26.
- New Member Ingathering – online at our 10:30 a.m. Worship Service on Sunday, Sept. 27.
- Lunchtime Chat with Brad Bryan, Pastor of Wilkes Blvd. United Methodist Church –
online at noon Wednesday, September 30. Contact Rev. Molly
- Green Sanctuary Team Meeting – online at 7 pm. Thursday, Oct. 1. Contact Allie Gassmann
- RE Family Movie Night – online at 6:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 2. Contact Jamila Batchelder.
- UU Writers online at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 3, 17 and 31. Contact Fran Reynolds.
- Animal Blessing at 10:30 a.m. online Worship Service on Sunday, Oct 4. See above.
- Service Sunday online at noon, Sunday, Oct. 4. Contact Jamila Batchelder.
- Social Action Team Meeting – online at 1 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 4. Contact Fred Young.
- Non-Toxic Masculinity Group – online at 7 p.m. Monday, Oct. 5. Contact Jeff Ordway.
For more information about particular groups, see the Church Groups page.
Memorial services will be scheduled in the future…
For our losses of Paul Wallace, Robin Remington, Sue Bader, Duane Dailey, Rob Bartel, George Frissell, Roberta Jones, Wayne Anderson and Rev. Gertrude Lindener-Stawski.
You can read the Joys and sorrows shared with the congregation last Sunday by clicking the link below. The page is also accessible from the Members/Friends drop-down menu. The Joys and Sorrows page is password-protected, so you must be logged in as a registered user of our site to see it. If you have not already registered, you can do so here.
You can submit joys and sorrows online to our minister by clicking this button: